The Skerries “100”

The Dublin and the District Motor Cycle Club is one of the oldest such clubs in the Country. For many years the club’s principal meeting, the Dublin “100” was held in the Phoenix Park. During the second World War activities were suspended, not least because the Phoenix Park was being used as a storage area for turf supplies.

The club was kept alive during the war years and when hostilities ended in 1945 the basic organisation was still in place. The members were anxious to organise a race. The Phoenix Park could not be used as a venue because of the turf supplies still kept there and also because the roads through the Park were so potholed that they resembled a battlefield.

After some exploratory work, a Skerries man, Barry Mason, who was a member of the club, proposed that the race be held in Skerries.

Members of the committee visited Skerries to examine the proposed circuit from Skerries via Ballykea and Baldongan back to the town. The road condition was good and it was decided to go ahead with the race. The club had very little money at the time but their budget showed that, at worst, they stood to lose £30.

The race got tremendous goodwill in Skerries, particularly from the farmers around the course. The entries rolled in and on the first Saturday in July 1946 the first post-war motorcycle race in Europe was run.

The Skerries “100” was born and is now an annual event on the first Saturday in July.