Lecture – 2014
Author – Bourke, Stephanie
St. Patrick’s Church was formally opened in August 1939. A Souvenir Booklet published at the time entitled “St. Patrick’s New Church”, carries a photograph of the previous church which had stood on the site since 1823. The paper gives details of the financing, the commissioning of architects and builders, and of the leaded glass designed and supplied by the Harry Clarke Studios. The choice of a sculpture by Albert Power is also mentioned.
A public meeting was held in 1999 to begin the process of refurbishment, led by Fr. Leo Quinlan, the Parish Priest. Solely through the contributions of the parishioners, the entire loan was paid off in 2014.