Lecture – 2005
Author – Clinton, Joe
The two islets of granite known as Rockabill lie 7 kilometers off the coast of Skerries. The rock was increasingly recognised as a danger to shipping as economic activity grew in the early 19th century. The Trinity Board granted permission in 1853 to build a lighthouse on the rock and the new light first appeared on 1 July 1860.
The paper provides an historical account based mostly on secondary sources, but more importantly it contains a report of an interview conducted by the author and Ken Thompson in January 2005 with retired lighthouse keeper, Joe Stapleton. (12 pages)
Themes: Memories, maritime, buildings