There are many old superstitions in the district of Skerries. Here are some of them:
(1) If your ears are burning hot it is the sign of someone speaking good or evil of you.
(2) If your nose is itchy it is the sign of a row.
(3) If two knives are crossed after dinner it is a sign of a row.
(4) If your elbow is itchy it is the sign of a strange bed.
(5) If your right hand is itchy it is the sign of a shake hands; if your left hand is itchy it is the sign that you are going to get money.
(6) If you hit a person with an elder stick it is said your hand will grow you’re over your grave.
(7) If a dog barks in the dead of the night it is said someone out of the locality will die.
(8) If you let a knife fall it is the sign of a gentleman visitor.
(9) If you let a fork fall it is the sign of a lady visitor.
(10) If you find two spoons in the same tea-cup it is the sign of a marriage.
(11) If you see a pin and pick it up you will have good luck.
(12) If you see a pin and pass it by you will have bad luck.
(13) If you break delph you will have bad luck.
(14) If you cut down a thorn tree that is growing in your garden you will have bad luck as long as you live.
(15) If you see two magpies together you will have bad luck.
(16) If the sole of your foot is itchy it is said you will walk on strange ground.
(17) if you bring a frog into your house you will have bad luck.
Joe Reynolds, 3 Rush Road (BNS, 1937)