Author: Halpin, Hugh
Report by: Oona Roycroft
This paper is a sequel to ‘The Foundation of Electricity in Skerries’ published in Time and Tide 7. Public lighting was the catalyst for electricity and Balrothery District Council offered the contract for lighting the town to a Skerries man, William Herbert Flanagan. He established the ‘Skerries Electricity Works’ and constructed a generating station and a distribution network that served the town until 1940. The paper concentrates on the community’s response and the controversy caused by the new technology in the context of local, national and international events.